With osteoporosis running in my family, how can yoga support my quest for strong healthy bones as I approach my mid 40’s? Dear Bone Hunter, besides providing a superior form of weight-bearing that stimulates bones to retain calcium. yoga also helps stimulate and distribute the flow of synovial fluid, which lubricates the joints between the bones. Check out a few more reasons why yoga is a wonderful way to support healthy bones and fight against osteoporosis:
- Yoga’s weight-bearing poses take the body through its full range of movement.
- While other weight-bearing exercises tighten the body, yoga “lubricates” the joints by giving them an internal massage.
- Yoga builds bone strength evenly in both the upper and lower body.
- Yoga postures have a beneficial effect on the endocrine glands, which contribute to the formation of strong, healthy bones.
- Yoga has a positive effect on the adrenal glands-reducing stress levels and inhibiting excess calcium secretion.
- Yoga improves balance and coordination, helping to prevent fails.
- Yoga prevents and can even reverse the most visible and obvious symptom of osteoporosis and aging: the shortening and rounding of the spine.
Adapted from Yoga and the Wisdom of Menopause by Suza Francina